Saturday, December 23, 2006

The call back


Life is full of choices all of us has to make. Desicions that will help us on our walk with God and that will help us herold the call he has for us to follow. It took me a long time to find my call and when I found it I was terrified. The one thing I had always ask not to be was what God called me to do. So I went to Haiti, in my mind I thought that I was prepared for what I was going to see and that I knew a lot of stuff. I mean I had so many people preparing for all different aspects. The second night of the trip I became pretty overwhelmed. I cried for a while that night. Seeing Haiti in person is something that is indescribable. I mean you can tell people that its a third world country and show them pictures. You can tell them that people will want to sell you things, that people will use the restroom on the side of the road. They can tell you that the people of Haiti only make a dollar a day or maybe $300 a year. But until you are there no matter how much you know you still don't understand. I realized that when I was crying into my dads shoulder. As the week went on it got easier for me but still once in a while I would find myself sheding a tear or too. I spent most of everyday playing the the children of the Orphanage. I lucked out in the aspect that we didn't really do a lot of work so I got to spend so much time playing with the kids. I got to jumprope and play with sidewalk chalk and best of all I got to hug all of them!!!
I love Matu, I am a little partial to her. But I love each and everyone of those kids. In Febuary I have a trip planned to go to Belize for two weeks. I have been looking forward to this trip for quite a while. When I first got back from Haiti I had no desire to go to Belize all I could think about was Haiti. Now I week later I have been praying about this and God has led me to the conclusion that I can go to Belize later that he has something else for me. He wants me to go back to Haiti. So the money that I was going to put toward my trip to Belize is going to going to pay for me to go back to Haiti. Hopefully with some luck I can get a good price on tickets and go back to the little country that holds so much of my heart and thoughts. I want to use all the gifts God has given me to help the children and the people of Haiti. I hope that one day in the future I can go and spend more than week of my time helping the children. Someday I hope to be a much bigger help but for now I will have to use the weeks I am there to help has much as I can.
So my call back to Haiti is one that I love. I loved every aspect of being down there and I can't wait to go back. Haiti is a lot more to me than the place where my sister was born, I care so much for that country and those children that I spent all week with that I don't even know if I can explain it!

5 comments:

Todd said...

Bethany - I can not begin to tell you how proud I am of you, and how I am so blessed to have been able to share our first trip to Haiti together. God has blessed you with a beautiful heart for his people, and I look forward to seeing him use you in the live of the Haitian people.

Kristina said...

I second what Todd said!

Bethany I was priviledged to see your sister Alyssa changed by our journey to Haiti. And now you! God is amazing!

Haiti does change you and we ALL will be forever linked to it. Welcome to the Haiti lovers club!!!!!

We will support you in any way we can! I love you!

Michelle said...

I think it's wonderful, Bethany! The kids will be so excited.

Gail said...

Bethany, I am looking forward to meeting you in Feb. I think you and my daughter Carsen would get along so well. She gave up a trip to Europe with her choir 2 years ago to go to Haiti and it changed her life!! She is planning on going for the summer, so if it works out for you to go as well, you guys will be roommates.

Angela said...

All I can say is I continue to be excited for you. I can't wait to watch God's plan unfold in your life.